• The School
  • History
    • E-mail
    • Print

    History

     

     1920  Creation of a petroleum laboratory.
    The primary role of petroleum-based energy production emerged during World War One. As the Pechelbronn sedimentary basin represented most of French oil production, the advantages of combining the activities of the University of Strasbourg and the advances of a local industry became clear. A petroleum laboratory was created in 1920. Its purpose was to entrust grouped establishments with technical studies on oil, so that chemists, geologists and engineers could coordinate their work and share their experience. The first classes were held at the Institute of Chemistry and were taught by Mr. Muller and Mr. Gault. There were six students from different backgrounds and nationalities. The Pechelbronn company provided financial support.
         
     1922  Creation of the Petroleum Institute in Strasbourg, by ministerial decree. The institute had three sections: chemistry, geology and mining. Most of its resources came from a tax charged on each ton of crude oil extracted from the Pechelbronn "mines." In addition, the Strasbourg Chamber of Commerce provided financial support to the students.
         
     1924  Creation of the École nationale supérieure du pétrole et des combustibles liquides (higher national school of oil and liquid fuels), by agreement between the University of Strasbourg, the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Commerce, and placed under the authority of the latter. The first school director was Henri Gault. It was regulated by two decrees:

    • a decree signed by the Ministry of Education, linking the school to the Strasbourg University of Science from a scientific and academic standpoint: for the first time, in addition to its training assignment, an engineering school was made responsible for promoting and fostering scientific research,

    • another decree entrusting administration of the school to a director, assisted by a board of directors chaired by the director of the National Bureau of Liquid Fuels (recently founded in order to give France a general oil policy). This structure gave the new school possibilities for action that were much greater than those of a regular university.
         
     1925  Official inauguration of the new ENSPCL building at the University of Strasbourg.
    For the first 15 years of its existence, the school attracted students and researchers from all over Europe, especially such men as Hugel, Weiss, Louis, Salomon (works for the International Electrotechnical Commission), Jung (geology), Schneegans, Vlès, Vellinger and others.
         
     1930  The highly conventional structure of the school was no longer suited to the increasing number and growing urgency of the works expected of it. Discussions began on creating a national oil institute.
         
     1931  Creation of the École des applications mécaniques des combustibles liquides (EAMCL), the school of mechanical applications for liquid fuels, headed by the engineer general Paul Dumanois, in the premises of the Higher School of Aeronautics, on Boulevard Victor in Paris.Paul Dumanois
         
     1936  The name of EAMCL was changed to the École nationale des moteurs à combustion et à explosion (national school of combustion and ignition engines).
         
     1939  On September 1, 1939, the residents of the University of Strasbourg are given 24 hours to pack their bags and find a home somewhere else in France. The university is moved to Clermont-Ferrand, in the buildings of the Chemistry and Industrial Technology Institute.
         
     1940  The "geology" and "drilling" sections are set up, headed by E. Vellinger in Toulouse where, following of the discovery of the Saint-Marcet natural gas field (by the team of D. Schneegans, geologist), a department specialized in oil prospecting was created at the university.
          
     1941  Classes resumed at the École Nationale des Moteurs à Combustion et à Explosion after a two-year interruption due to the war, on the premises of a primary school located Rue Saint-Jacques, then at the École Polytechnique in 1942, and in 1944 the conference room of the society for promoting national industry, on Rue de Rennes.
          
     1944  Creation of the Institut français du pétrole. 

     

    The School in 1952  1945  The ENSPCL chemistry department, headed by Mr. Weiss, moved back to Strasbourg.
          
      1946  The two schools were connected to IFP Energies nouvelles. Courses were taught in Paris (engines, prospecting), Toulouse (drilling and production), Strasbourg (chemistry) and Saint-Maur (oilfield development).
          
      1947  Move to Rueil-Malmaison.

     

     1954  Creation of the École nationale supérieure du pétrole et des moteurs (ENSPM) (higher national school of oil and engines) by merging the École Nationale Supérieure du Pétrole et des Combustibles Liquides and the École Nationale des Moteurs à Combustion et à Explosion (decree dated October 13), headed by Paul Dumanois. ENSPM is tied to the Fuels Department of the Ministry of Industry.
         
     1957  The School moved to a new building, Dahlias, specially designed for it. It was to stay there until 1992.
         
     1963  Creation of the Center for Petroleum Economics.
         
     1975  To meet the industry's continuing training needs, the school created ENSPM formation industrie - IFP Training.
         
     1978  1st graduate research degree in Petroleum Sciences.
          
     1989  Creation of the 1st English-language program, in Petroleum Economics.
          
     1992  The School, with close to 300 students, moved into the Tamaris building.1992: Construction of the Tamaris building
         
     1996  Beginning of training via apprenticeship.
         
     2002  Creation of 1st program as part of the dissemination policy.