Specialized Engineering degree or IFP School's Master’s degree
To apply to an industrially-orientated program that awards a specialized engineering degree or an IFP School Master’s degree, you must have a degree corresponding to 4 or 5 years of higher education, such as a French 'Diplôme d'ingénieur' (in 5 years), an American BSc (in 4 years), or another equivalent degree.
Double-degree with some of the major European engineering schools and universities
IFP School has signed agreements with some of the major European engineering schools and universities where it takes 5 years to obtain an engineering degree. If you are in your penultimate year in one of these schools, you can apply for admission to IFP School effective at the end of the current year. To apply, you must first obtain the prior authorization of your studies director (list of agreements).
Students who are in their penultimate year at a French Engineering School/University linked to IFP School through a double-degree agreement, and whose School of origin requires periods abroad, can fulfill this requirement during their studies at IFP School. This is valid for some programs and under certain conditions by securing an industrial sponsorship from a company proposing one or several periods of training outside of France, and/or spending some time in a partner School/University abroad. These specific provisions will be studied on an individual case basis during the selection procedure.
Selection, which is based on your application and sometimes a personal interview, depends on the content and direction of your initial studies, your grades, your professional experience, and an assessment of your potential, motivation and personality.
Applications are on-line. They must be completed between November 15th, 2020 and March 31st, 2021.
We recommend that you complete your application as early as possible in order to explore the various sources of financial support available (apprenticeships, corporate sponsorships, grants / scholarships, etc.).
* Please, for the online application, use only the following browsers: Microsoft Internet Explorer (7 and 8 version), Mozilla Firefox (3.6 and more recent versions) and Google Chrome (7 and more recent versions).
- The main IFP School board convenes in May for all the engineering programs.
In addition, the school organizes two extra boards:
an anticipated board meeting in March, during which a few excellent candidates can be admitted because an early result is required for them
- a subsequent board meeting in June, exclusively reserved for the admission of some international students
When you complete your electronic application, you can apply for three programs at the most. Enter your choices by order of preference.
To validate your application, you must first provide the following three documents:
an ID picture
your resume, in English if applying to an English-language program
a cover letter, in English if applying to an English-language program
Then, it is possible to upload other electronic documents (recommended), or you can send them later by post.
Your application will only be evaluated when the school receives the following documents:
- a photocopy of your passport or ID card
- copies of your engineering school or university qualifications (and/or attendance certificate)
- details of your higher education results including ranking, grades, final GPA (for courses you have not yet finished, please send any results, even if incomplete)
If you wish to send us letters of recommendation, you can send them after completing the application to avoid delaying processing of your application.
An English test (TOEFL, TOEIC, First Certificate, etc.) is required for applicants to English-language programs and recommended for all applicants. Indeed, students applying to an English-language program must give proof of a minimum score to one of the following tests before the Admissions Board convenes. Please note that IFP School's ETS code is 7084.
- TOEIC: 850
- TOEFL: 90
- IELTS: 6.5
- Cambridge: 175
- Bulats: 70
Applicants who are admitted by the board and whose English level is lower will have to attend intensive English courses in summer (2 or 4 weeks).
Will be exempt from the English proficiency:
- citizens of countries whose official language is English
- holders of a degree from a university based in a country whose official language is English, particularly:
- Canada (except Quebec)
- New Zealand
- United Kingdom
The above English requirements are for the 2021 entry and are reviewed annually.
If you are unsure of meeting one of the English language exemptions, you are advised to take an official English test.
- Reservoir Geoscience and Engineering program, in partnership with Texas A&M University: the GRE and the TOEFL are required (ETS code 7084). You must complete both applications (IFP School and Texas A&M)
- Petroleum Economics and Management program, in partnership with Texas A&M University: You must complete both applications (IFP School and Texas A&M)
Prerequisites given by our educational partners
- Colorado School of Mines
- Old GRE (Verbal 510, Quantitative 701, Writing 4.18) or
- New GRE (Verbal 154, Quantitative 156, Writing 4.18) or
- GMAT >635 (Verbal 31, Quantitative 44, Writing 4.31) and TOEFL (ib) 80, (cb) 213 or IELTS 6
- Texas A&M University
- Old GRE (Verbal 510, Quantitative 701, Writing 4.18) or
- New GRE (Verbal 154, Quantitative 156, Writing 4.18) and TOEFL (ib) 80, (cb) 213 or IELTS 6
- Oklahoma University
- GMAT >710 and TOEFL (ib) 100, (cb) 250, (pb) 600
More detailed information on the web sites of those universities.
Studies and disability
Do you have a disability?
The IFP School team is at your disposal to anticipate the necessary adjustments, either during your application (interviews) or subsequently if you join the School. You may contact our Disability advisor at: firstname.lastname@example.org