Through various research programs, IFP Energies nouvelles is now strongly involved in the development of bioprocesses for biofuels and bio-based chemical intermediates. The overwhelming majority of bio-based fermentation products are obtained today through a microbial monoculture approach. However, this approach faces limits when it comes to complex biotransformations. Furthermore, at industrial scale, fermentations cannot be carried out under perfectly aseptic conditions. Bioprocesses are therefore regularly subject to chronic or acute contamination. To overcome these issues, many research projects are investigating the construction of interkingdom synthetic consortia. Their objective is to increase the robustness of bioprocesses against external contamination, but also to promote metabolic synergies between the different microbial players. With a view to improving the conversion of renewable biomass, this thesis aims at assessing the potential of various co-cultures in obtaining products of interest to the bioeconomy. For this purpose, the doctoral student will implement in the lab various techniques necessary for the study of microorganisms, alone or in co-cultures. Meta-omics analyzes (metranscriptomics and metabolomics) will also be deployed to improve the understanding of the complex mechanisms ruling microbial interactions. The successful candidate must have an engineer and / or research master's level with a specialization in biotechnology and microbiology. He should also have skills in data analysis and bioinformatics.
Keywords: biotechnology, co-culture, bioethanol, meta-omics
- Academic supervisor Ph.D. BEN CHAABANE Fadhel, IFPEN ; ORCID: 0000-0002-6725-1061
- Doctoral School ED581 ABIES/ Agriculture, Alimentation, Biologie, Environnement, Santé nom, http://www.agroparistech.fr/abies
- IFPEN supervisor Ph.D. POIRIER Simon, Biotechnology department, firstname.lastname@example.org, ORCID: 0000-0003-0669-5117
- PhD location IFP Energies nouvelles, Rueil-Malmaison, France
- Duration and start date 3 years, starting in fourth quarter 2022
- Employer IFP Energies nouvelles, Rueil-Malmaison, France
- Academic requirements University Master’s degree in industrial biotechnology
- Language requirements Fluency in French or English, willingness to learn French
- Other requirements Knowledge in microbiology, microbial ecology and data analysis (R)
To apply, please send your cover letter and CV to the IFPEN supervisor indicated here above.
IFP Energies nouvelles is a French public-sector research, innovation and training center. Its mission is to develop efficient, economical, clean and sustainable technologies in the fields of energy, transport and the environment. For more information, see our WEB site.
IFPEN offers a stimulating research environment, with access to first in class laboratory infrastructures and computing facilities. IFPEN offers competitive salary and benefits packages. All PhD students have access to dedicated seminars and training sessions. For more information, please see our dedicated WEB pages