Did you know that understanding the architecture of reservoirs and rock-fluid interactions are key factors for optimizing production? The complementary skills of geoscientists and engineers are essential to its success. Through our Reservoir Geoscience and Engineering program, you’ll master the methods and tools used to optimize more sustainable production of Oil & Gas fields, develop storage capacity for gas and CO2, and even produce new geothermal resources. Following your case-based training, you’ll be recruited for your operational capabilities and your ability to lead projects in an international and multicultural environment. Accept the challenge!
The key points of the program
Career prospects for graduates
Program & planning
This program is indicative only. Other courses may be selected by the students according to their initial education and to the requirements of the thesis. Moreover, a wide variety of courses are offered by the other partner institutions (in Argentina, Indonesia and Russia) for the first fall term and the second fall term.
- Reservoir engineering fundamentals
- Production mechanisms
- Well testing and interpretation
- Well performance
- Reservoir simulation
- Advanced reservoir simulation
- Enhanced oil recovery
- Geoscience fundamentals
- Well logging
- Reservoir characterization and modeling
- Complementary well testing, well logging, well performance
- Reservoir geology
- Advanced reservoir characterization and modeling
- Fractured reservoirs
- Unconventional hydrocarbons and CO2 management
Transverse skills and professional attitudes
The two examples of schedules shown below correspond to the most frequently encountered cases for students in this program: 16-month program for students with a 4- or 5-year engineering degree either entirely at IFP School
- with an induction period in a company
- or with two terms on the partner’s campus (TAMU, Gubkin, Tyumen, ITBA, ITB, Kazan) to obtain a double degree
- Oil & Gas companies (IOC and NOC)
- Oil & Gas equipment and service companies
- Geothermal energy industry
- Energy consulting companies
- International institution
- Reservoir geoscientists: work on describing the geometry and architecture of oil and gas reservoirs, and on characterizing them. In a second step, they calculate the hydrocarbon reserves trapped in the deposits.
- Reservoir engineers: study the production potential of reservoirs and the technical means to be implemented to optimize recovery rates.
Funding & sponsorships
Typical promotion type
Most of the students are supported by companies (through sponsorships or study leave) that finance their living expenses during the academic period and contribute towards their tuition.
Among these companies, the following have been IFP School partners in recent years (non-exhaustive list):
- Saudi Aramco